It´s Sunday again, so we´ll gather around the table to share a recipe and encourage the bonding of families (whatever that might be for you). And we´ll try to Beat The Heat in the process with the fantastic Juanita´s Cocina as our host. That´s our theme for today.
Considering I live in the southern hemisphere and are travelling through winter (a rather mild one, but still), and anticipating what I thought would be lots of ice cream, icy drinks and salad recipes, I decided to go on another direction.
This sandwich is one of my favorites when I´m in the mood for prosciutto. In this case I found Serrano ham and just couldn´t say no. It has a subtle yet very particular flavor, lightly salted and begging to be eaten right away.
Here it´s layered with fresh mozzarella, the kind you pull apart with your fingers, sun dried tomatoes (or oven slow roasted ones) and fresh arugula. On an olive ciabatta, crunchy from a quick encounter with the toaster and a drizzle of olive oil, it´s the perfect lunch. Or picnic fare.
How will it help you beat the heat? Well, it will provide you with a little of everything. The ham and olives will get you some needed salt into the body, you know after sunny days by the pool or the sea, lucky you, the mozzarella and arugula will give freshness and crunch and the tomatoes will balance all the flavors. And the bread? Oh, that´s welcome come heat, rain or shine.
If you use plain focaccias, add some crushed olives to the filling. Or not. It´s up to you. I used the olive ones that were in the freezer.
SERRANO HAM, ARUGULA, MOZZARELLA ON OLIVE FOCACCIA
2 olive focaccias
7 oz. (200g) Serrano ham, thinly sliced
4 oz. (120g) fresh mozzarella, pulled apart with your fingers
1 bunch arugula, washed and thoroughly dried
6 sun dried tomatoes
Put tomatoes in small bowl and pour boiling water to cover them. Set aside while you prepare the rest.
Open focaccias in half, and toast them lightly. You can skip tosting them if they are very fresh.
Squeeze the tomatoes and chop them.
On the bottom half of bread layer half of the ham, half of the cheese, and half the tomatoes. Add half the arugula and drizzle with olive oil. Close with the top half of the bread. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
The #SundaySupper group is bringing all sorts of amazing recipes to the table today. I bet it will be hard to choose only one, right?
So check them out and let´s beat the heat!
Wine Pairings Provided By: ENOFYLZ
• Refreshing Chunky Shrimp Salsa ~ The Weekend Gourmet
• Totally Cool Green Hummus ~ My Kitchen and I
• Smoked Whitefish Salad Bagel Bites ~ Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
• Watermelon and Goat Cheese Bites ~ Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
• Strawberry Gazpacho ~ Diabetic Foodie
• Grilled Loaded Baked Potato Skins ~ In the Kitchen with KP
• Sweet & Tangy Chili Lime Fruit Salad ~ Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Salads, Soups, & Sides:
• Cool Cucumber Salad ~ Momma’s Meals
• Lemony Garbanzo Kale Salad with Tuna ~ Shockingly Delicious
• Hungarian Cucumber Salad Recipe – Uborkasaláta Recept ~ The Watering Mouth
• Tomato Salad with Macadamia Cheese ~ Cooking’s Good Vegetarian Cafe
• Char-Grilled Corn Salad ~ The Little Ferraro Kitchen
• Chilly Dilly Cucumber Soup with Shrimp ~ Comfy Cuisine
• Mom’s Creamy Pea Salad ~ Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
• Greek (Yogurt) Potato Salad ~ Family Foodie
• Rainbow Slaw with Steak and Chipotle Crema ~ Cooking By The Seat of our Pants
• Rolling with Kimbap ~ Kimchi Mom
• Ranch Chicken Tacos ~ Pippi’s In The Kitchen Again
• Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork ~ Cupcakes and Kale Chips
• Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ Supper for a Steal
• No-Cook Egg-Free Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream ~ Chocolate Moosey
• Peach Sorbet ~ Magnolia Days
• Gluten-Free Cookie Dough Ice Cream ~ No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
• Icebox Chocolate Pie ~ Doggie at the Dinner Table
• Honey and Elderflower Ice Cream ~ Small Wallet Big Appetite
• Blackberry Lavender Popsicles ~ Girlichef
• Frozen Chocolate Bananas ~ In the Kitchen with Audrey
• Strawberry-Lime Margarita Ice Cream ~ Cookistry
• Elegant Fruit Jellies ~ Happy Baking Days
• Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches ~ That Skinny Chick Can Bake
• Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ Baker Street
• Vanilla Peach Swirl Frozen Yogurt ~ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
• Espresso and Toasted Almond Semifreddo ~ The Messy Baker
• Mango Ice Cream ~ Queen’s Notebook
• Raspberry Mousse ~ Basic and Delicious
• White Apricot & Honeysuckle Sorbet ~ Family Spice
• Biscoff Ice Cream Cupcakes ~ Juanita’s Cocina
Drinks & Cocktails:
• Shirley Temple ~ Cravings of a Lunatic
• Prickly Pear White Wine Spritzer ~ Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
• Classic Daquiri ~ Katherine Martinelli
• Salty Lassi ~ Soni’s Food for Thought
• Blueberry Mint Lemonade ~ Pescetarian Journal
• Sweet Basil & Cucumber Melon Smoothie ~ Daily Dish Recipes