This is one of the best tarts involving chocolate and nuts I ever made. And it's not my opinion only. There are many friends that are forever asking me to make them 'the one with a crunch and chocolate' again, not interested in the details like the hazelnuts or the kind of chocolate.
I don't think they even know it involves them. But I do, and I know many will find this combination different and the flavor superior.
#BakeForACure encourages us to bake something and take it to a medical cancer treatment professional or someone who has been affected by cancer.
So I'm dedicating this post to my mom who is a breast cancer survivor and today is Mother's Day here, and to my wonderful brother who lost the battle six years ago, but who is also a survivor, having had cancer 25 years before that. Yes, he had it twice in his life.
I love hazelnuts, they have a rather sophisticated flavour, and I like them a bit more because they are kind of the underdog of nuts. Considered expensive and difficult to work with, and sometimes they are, many simply reach for any other kind of nut. But I can make a loaf cake based on their aromatic toasted flavour, and few combinations are as unbeatable as hazelnuts and dark chocolate, as these truffles will let you know if you make them.
The recipe is exactly the one that appears in Francois Payard's book. There's no need to alter something that is so incredibly well thought out. All I can do is hope you get the message. You´ll wonder why you never came across anything like this before.
HAZELNUT MILK CHOCOLATE TART
from Simply Sensational Desserts, by Francois Payard
½ recipe Pate Sablée, completely baked
1 ½ cups (215g) whole hazelnuts, toasted and skinned
1 Tbs honey
1/3 cup (67g) sugar
1 Tbs corn syrup
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup cream
5oz. (145g) milk chocolate, melted and warm
In a large bowl mix hazelnuts, chopped chocolate and honey,
In a medium saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup and salt. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Without stirring, boil until sugar is a deep amber color, about 5 minutes. Watch it closely. Have ready the cream.
Remove from heat and add the cream; it bubbles up furiously. Stir with a wooden spoon and return to low heat to melt any hard pieces of caramel.
Pour caramel mixture onto hazelnuts, let rest a few minutes so it melts the chocolate and then stir until smooth. Pour onto the baked pie shell, spreading evenly. Let cool completely. (At this point it can be covered and refrigerated for 2 days).
When you´re ready to assemble the tart, put cream in a large bowl. Beat until medium stiff peaks just begin to form. Add warm chocolate and gently mix until well combined.
Spread with a spatula or piping bad over the cooled hazelnut mixture.
These #SundaySupper Contributors, were provided with a beautiful Easy As Pie Dish by Chantal Cookware. They will be sharing their recipes with you this Sunday and also their thoughts on this Beautiful Pie Dish. Many are giving away their dish along with their pie to brighten someone’s day.
Check out these gorgeous Sunday Supper Recipes:
- Pecan Pie by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Nana’s 3LB Deep Dish Apple Pie by I Run For Wine
- Upside-down Apple Pie by Comfy Cuisine
- Coconut Pie by Basic N Delicious
- Italian Chicken Pie by Momma’s Meals
- Funny Cake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sweet Potato Pie with Gingersnap Crust by Webicurean
- Lemon Meringue Pie by The Messy Baker Blog
- Ham and Spinach Quiche by Magnolia Days
- Pink Salmon Quiche by My Catholic Kitchen
- Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Streusel Topping by Juanita’s Cocina
- Grilled Eggplant Moussaka With Greek Yogurt White Sauce by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie by Big Bears Wife
- Pumpkin Maple Pie by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Spiced Pumpkin Pie with a Cinnamon Roll Crust by Daily Dish Recipes
- Pasteis de Nata ~ Portuguese Custard Tart by Family Foodie
- Chocolate Pie by Diabetic Foodie
- Pink Lady Pie by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
As you may have noticed, when the #SundaySupper Team does something, we come together and do it with a bang. Check out these additional recipes, perfect to take to someone who you want to make feel special this month.
- Butterscotch Pudding Triple Chip Cookies by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Flatbread with Grapes, Gruyere, Rosemary and Red Onions by Shockingly Delicious
- Salted Caramel Filled Chocolate Chip Cookie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Candy Bar Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Quiches by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Apple Cranberry Slab Pie by Generation Y Foodie
- Gratin of Potatoes, Onions & Leeks by An Appealing Plan
- Garlic rosemary yeast rolls by Gotta Get Baked
- Italian Tomato Tart by She likes ruffles, he likes truffles
- Impossible cheeseburger pie by In the Kitchen with KP
- 10 Grain Muffins by Mangiamo!
- Deep Dish Caramel Apple Pie by Mama Mommy Mom
- Date Crumb Pie by girlichef
- Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Doughnuts by What Smells So Good?
Do you want to get your own Easy as Pie Dish? Chantal is offering will be 20% OFF of ALL Chantal Pie dishes on www.chantal.com. BAKE4CURE must be entered at checkout to receive the pie dish discount. The coupon discount code is active October 16, 2012 through October 30, 2012.
The Sunday Supper Team and Chantal Cookware, would be honored to have you join us for this special #BakeForACure event Around the Family Table this week.
Join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm(Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat.
We’d also love to feature your easy go to recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers, too.