Would you consider coming to a birthday where these soft pretzels with spicy beer cheese sauce are served? Even though said pretzels are not as soft, but just amazing-tasting, as the title implies they should be? And if that´s the case and you want to have options, and I tell you there are more than sixty other alternatives to choose from, would you come?
The Sunday Supper table, the wonderful group lead by Isabel and made up of amazing bloggers that got me ankle deep into this magic world of food blogging, is celebrating it´s birthday number 1 with a party! And really, you would be crazy not to come. After all, this is like the party that sums the usual party we have every Sunday, with a list of recipes taken from past events, each being made as is or with whatever modifications, by another fellow sunday supperer. Sort of a greatest hits album.
I made up my mind pretty quickly about choosing this recipe from Heather of Girlichef. She is a friend and an oh-so-talented baker. And baking is my thing.
Even if right now you´re thinking these pretzels don´t scream that baking is my thing, because they are not plump enough or soft enough, though how can you know how soft they are if you can´t touch them, but I can also tell they are not as soft as they should, baking is my thing.
The recipe is very straightforward and comes together quickly. I think I should´ve added more flour while kneading it. Rookie mistake.
I decided to do it in two batches, sort of a first batch to practice on. I´m glad I did, and you should be glad too since those first pretzels were too big, hardly pretzel-shaped, not golden enough and very unphotogenic. Oh, but they tasted good. Just like a salted pretzel should.
The second try came out as good as I can hope for given the fact that it´s my first time and don´t usually eat pretzels, except when I travel to NYC and think having one with mustard from a street cart to be an unavoidable thing to do in that city. Pretzels are not known here, they might be sold somewhere but I haven´t bumped into them yet.
And I made six instead of four, and that obviously didn´t contribute to the plump factor, more like a squalid newborn than a pudgy michelin look alike.
As with any yeast dough that needs to be shaped, from a simple brioche a tete to a braided danish, practice is all you need. Don´t expect your first pretzel to be perfect. A food blog comes in quite handy on that matter, because when I´m baking a new recipe I will try again and again until I have something that is worthy of a picture, though it might not be exactly what I want it will definitely be post worthy.
I made the pretzels following the original recipe, and changed the sauce just a bit to suit the fact that I was by myself and didn´t want to make another trip to the supermarket nor have a lot of extra sauce lying around.
These are so addictive with that perfect dipping sauce that´s almost like a spicy fondue, having so much of it would´ve meant having soft pretzels with spicy beer cheese sauce for every meal two days in a row, and I still want to fit in my bikini the rest of the summer. And I´m trying to eat healthier. Ha.
SOFT PRETZELS (find recipe here)
SPICY BEER CHEESE SAUCE
½ cup beer (I used Stella Artois)
2 Tbs sour cream
2 teaspoons minced pickled jalapeños
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese, loosely packed
1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
Salt and black pepper
Heat beer in small saucepan. When it starts to bubble, add rest of ingredients and whisk until well combined. Let boil for 1 minute and serve with warm pretzels.
Ready to get inspired by our birthday recipes?
Sunday Supper Appetizers:
- Hot Spinach Parmesan Dip by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks inspired by Comfy Cuisine
- So Simple Pizza Puffs by The Weekend Gourmet inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
- Pepperoni and Mozzarella Pull Apart by Noshing With The Nolands inspired by In the Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Soups and Breads:
- Lasagna Soup by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Easy Italian Wedding Soup by Webicurean inspired by Family Foodie
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage Soup by Damn Delicious inspired by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Honey Butter Dinner Rolls by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Chicken Noodle Soup by Big Bears Wife inspired by My Catholic Kitchen
- Tomato Florentine Soup by Mama Mommy Mom inspired by The Meltaways
- Chicken Soup with Dumplings by Comfy Cuisine inspired by The Messy Baker
- Coconut Curry Chicken Soup by My Trials in the Kitchen inspired by Damn Delicious
Sunday Supper Main Dishes:
- Portuguese Mussels and Shrimp in Chorizo Sauce by Supper for a Steal inspired by Family Foodie
- Feijoada Portuguese Bean Stew by Kimchi Mom inspired by Family Foodie
- Lentils and Chorizo Stew by Galactosemia in PDX inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Carnitas Pizza w/ Chipotle-Avocado Crema by girlichef inspired by Damn Delicious
- Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas by Country Girl in the Village inspired by Webicurean
- Drunken Meatballs by Small Wallet Big Appetite inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Goat Cheese Rigatoni Alfredo by Magnolia Days inspired by Family Foodie
- Dorie’s Chicken-in-the-Pot by Hip Foodie Mom inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Pulled Pickled Pork by Juanita’s Cocina inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Hoisin Asian Meatballs by Gotta Get Baked inspired by Damn Delicious
- Shrimp-Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes by Daily Dish Recipes inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Soy, Orange Juice and Red Wine Marinade by Peanut Butter and Peppers inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Burger with Curried Cabbage Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings inspired by Soni’s Food
- Corn and Basil Handpies by Curious Cuisiniere inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lightened Up Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken by Cupcakes and Kale Chips inspired by The Meltaways
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Chili by Food Lust People Love inspired by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bigos by Maroc Mama inspired by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips with Sweet Chili Sauce by From Fast Food to Fresh Food inspired by Crispy Bits and Burnt Ends
- Pork Loin with Port Shallot Sauce by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Sweet & Tender Brisket by Daddy Knows Less inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Fish Tacos by Cookistry inspired by Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Homemade Harissa by Masala Herb inspired by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Family Foodie inspired by Kimchi Mom
- New Orleans Style White Beans & Rice by Catholic Foodie inspired by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle
- Spice Rubbed Chicken Tacos with Tropical Salsa by The Urban Mrs. inspired by Family Foodie
- Sunday Supper Veggies:
- Carrots au Gratin by Shockingly Delicious inspired by Juanita’s CocinaSkillet Spinach Corn with Edamame, Cilantro & Bacon Bits by The Lovely Pantry inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sunday Supper Desserts and Snacks:
- Chocolate Brownie Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake inspired by Magnolia Days
- Mexican Hot Cocoa Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Cinnamon Apple Chimichangas by La Cocina de Leslie inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Apple Pull Apart Bread with Caramel Drizzle by Cravings of a Lunatic inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Cherry Tart by Happy Baking Days inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Orange Rolls by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rosettes by Simply Gourmet inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Donut Puffs by Soni’s Food inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Cut-out Cookies by Basic and Delicious inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Nutella Shortbread Bars by Kelly Bakes inspired by Baker Street
- Butterscotch Pudding Triple Chip Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen inspired by Dinner Dishes and Desserts
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream by The Messy Baker Blog inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Angel Cake Sandwiches by Ninja Baker inspired by That Skinny Girl Can Bake
- Soft Pretzels with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce by Vintage Kitchen inspired by girlichef
- Sweet N Spicy Roasted Spiced Nuts by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Cheesecake with Fresh Berries by An Appealing Plan inspired by The Messy Baker Blog
- Spiced Pumpkin Ricotta Oat Muffins by In the Kitchen with Audrey inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Budget Friendly Breakfast Freezable Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwiches by In The Kitchen with KP inspired by Big Bear’s Wife
- Raspberry Hot Chocolate by My Catholic Kitchen inspired by Momma’s Meals
Sunday Supper Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.